My Whimcees

My Whimcees

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Double Strip Cover and Liner for a Matchbox

Hello!

I am making quite a few matchbox gifts for friends this year and did not want to spend the time it takes to cut the individual pieces that one usually does to add to the cover top and sides and I wanted it to be pretty without any added accessories.

So to cover the top of the box I added two strips of layered DP (before assembly) - the first strip cut a bit narrower than the box cover and the top strip a bit narrower than the first. Then I scored the fold lines and assembled the box top. This took much less time and still was very festive. I use paper tape when assembling the box top and bottom and also used it on the paper strips because with the folds in the box top it needed to have a strong hold.

Then I made a template to fit the inside of the box which would cover the bottom and sides - this is scored across all 4 sides after cutting. I put this inside the box AFTER it was assembled and I used the paper tape to attach the paper to the sides of the box so it would lay smooth. This allowed me to trim the outside edges if necessary.

Looks good to me!

There is room for 4 little candy bar treats inside the matchbox.

I ate these candy bars I'm afraid - couldn't resist! Good thing I have more! :<)

Thanks for stopping by today!

Wishing you some chocolate of your own!

Barbara Diane

9 comments:

Tabitha said...

Those are really cute. Would make great stocking stuffers for my kids. I had 4 of those yesterday I found hiding under Hershey Kisses. LOL Darn I could have used them for this. Oh well now I really have a reason to buy more. LOL Thanks for sharing. ;0)

Helen said...

Hello Barbara,
Your matchbox sure looks festive! I couldn't believe you added the inside piece! it looks really nice.
Oh, yes, I had lots of chocolate lately.

Keep warm!

Unknown said...

This is so stinkin' adorable I can hardly stand it :)

Rhonda Miller said...

What a good idea for decorating them. I love the paper you used. TFS.

Rhonda Miller said...

What a good idea for decorating them. I love the paper you used. TFS.

Ann said...

I've seen quite a few of these matchboxes around the internet lately. Yours is so cute. I have paper just like the one you used for inside the box. I love the look of it. I would have ate the candy bars too :)

Mrs A. said...

Cute box. Love the patterned papers. Popover and see the boxes on the countdown to christmas matchboxes swap that is going on at the moment. Youll be amazed at all the different styles and ideas.

Lana said...

very cute and seems tasty =)

Mary said...

Very cute, what a cute idea for a stocking stuffer. I am always on the lookout for something to put in stocking.
Hope all is well with you.